Me....uncensored!!

Well, thanks to my very computer savy sister Meredith, I decided to create my own blog, for a few resons. 1)I never answer my phone, 2)This is free and 3)I am a busy lady!! So if you want to know whats going on...here is how. ENJOY!

Thursday, April 14, 2005

The First Game of the Season

Saturday April 9th was an exciting day in the Jones house....it was our (well Maddie and Colin) first soccer game of the season. I was just as excited as the kids were, but little did I know what was going to happen on this day!
Let me just begin by saying we have swimming lessons on saturdays from 8-9, so our day was starting out crazy, but my kids are just like me and they work best under pressure! So after swimming lessons we run home, to get ready. Now I am filling water bottles, grabbing sandwiches for the ride home, while the kids were getting into their soccer attire. As they walked into the kitchen I almost fell down, they looked so damn cute with their little shorts and chin pads....ooohhhh I could have eaten them up!!!
So we go to the field, (which due to the wonderful N.E. weather we had this winter, was inside because none of the outdoor fields were ready!) and we head in. I think there was every six year old in Woburn there, along with one or both parents (little intimidating). Maddie and Colin found their coach, and started to practice. Now they were practicing on the other side of the field, so I really couldn't see what was going on and I began to get bored, so being the social butterfly that I am, I made some new friends and we began to exchange stories about our children and so on.
Now the game is about to begin. The kids get on the field in their respective positions (2 fowards, one defence, one goalie and one other kid that I can't figure out his/her position), and the game begins. Now Maddie and Colin weren't in the first heat, so I wasn't too anxious, but I knew it was coming....my kids on the field. Maddie was put in forward position, and Colin was in the position I don't understand. So the coach takes a minute to talk to each kid and let them know what to do, the kids get ready, the ref drops the ball, and...the kids do nothing except talk to eachother, play with their hair, stare at the ball, etc. When the ref tells them to go after the ball, the forwards go after it, that is all of them except Maddie, she runs right off the field!!!!! Now, as an avid soccer player for many years, as well as a mother who was just very proudly pointing out her daughter...my jaw hit the floor! So the coach walked her back on the field, talked to her for a minute, and gave me a nod as if to say "not to worry". Well, when the ref dropped the ball again, the kids remembered to do just what they did before, and that includes Maddie running off the field again!!
She never did get back into the game, but her and I had a little talk. She will go to every practice, and get dressed for every game, but if she doesn't want to play in the game, I won't force her to, but she will go and stay for the whole game, but the most important thing to her is that she doesn't have to play in the game.
Well, who knows if I will ever be writing here saying that she is the top scorer in the league, who knows....but for right now, we are just trying to convince her to get into the game.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

megan,
don't be worried about Maddie. Lindsey and I's first soccer game made my parents frustrated too. Lindsey and I were also in dance so the first soccer game we had we didn't go for the ball, we were doing cartwheels all over the field with eachother. My mom was pretty frustrated. Just give it some time she might just need to get use to it, or she just might not be the competitive type but either way it will take time. I mean look at Lindsey and I we started off horrible at soccer and by our second season playing we were the lead goal scorers and continued to be right into highschool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home