Me....uncensored!!

Well, thanks to my very computer savy sister Meredith, I decided to create my own blog, for a few resons. 1)I never answer my phone, 2)This is free and 3)I am a busy lady!! So if you want to know whats going on...here is how. ENJOY!

Monday, June 20, 2005

bunkbeds and doctors offices

Well, Colin got his new bunkbed, well not new, but new to us, two weeks ago. He loved it. He was so excited to have his bunkbeds that he has been waiting for all winter. Every night he starts on the top bunk, but before he even falls asleep he moves to the bottom and that is where he sleeps.
Well, last Monday, it was an especially hot night, and he decided he wanted to sleep on the top bunk so he could stay cool with the ceiling fan. I said sure, and went into my room. Well, at about 10:30, I heard a big thud, and it was Colin on the floor in his room. Well, I grabbed him, put him on the bed, and began to do the body scan. There were no bumps or red marks, which made me even more nervous because I have always been told that if you can see it its ok, but if you can't, there could be something internal going on. This was also one of the times I was so glad he was 6 and could tell me what hurt. Now, when I asked him, all he said hurt was his arm, which I found strange because I assumed he landed on his head.
So, I called my mother, figuring she would tell me he was o.k. and put him back to bed. Well, she told me to call the doctor (which freaked me out even more), and the doctor said to ice his arm, wake him up every now and then, and bring him to the office in the morning.
Well, in the morning, Colin and I headed to the doctors office, and once again I thought they would tell me that he was o.k., and to send him back to school. Well, after the x-rays we realized that his wrist was broken, and that contrary to popular opinion, Colin does have a high tolerance for pain!! So, at the doctors office they put him in a splint (because of the swelling) and told us to come back the next Tuesday to have it casted.
So, over the next few days, I kept noticing that his fingers were swelling up more and more. Well, on Thursday I called my mom, expecting to get the "perfectly normal" response (although I should have learned) and once again I was told to call the doctors office. Well, once again they told me to bring him in to the office first thing in the morning and they could check it out. So, back we went on Friday, and got more x-rays and we were told that it was not healing right, and that we had to go to the orthopedic so he could see it. (Now, I have to add that I was already feeling like a terrible mother because I let my son sleep on the top bunk with no guard, but now I am thinking I have permently screwed up my sons left wrist (and he is a lefty) for the rest of his life!!)
So, off we went to ANOTHER doctor on Friday afternoon. Now, I was expecting the worse and a lecture, but he said that I was healing fine, but that it had to be casted right away. So, he put on a glow in the dark green cast for Colin (his favorite color), and then told us that the cast could come off in two to three weeks!! Yeah!!!
So, now Colin is the new celebrity at school and he gets to have all his friends sign his cast and he won't have a cast on all summer! And I don't feel nearly as bad about no guard on the bed, but I won't let him sleep on the top bunk until Pepere puts on the guard because lord knows I want to be done with doctors offices for the rest of the summer!

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Rainbow Momma said...

Oh no!! Poor Colin-boy! I'm glad it wasn't anything terribly serious and that he won't have the cast all summer. Give the boy a huge kiss from his aunties (and give one to Maddie so she won't get jealous. LOL!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home